With beautiful views out over the solent towards the Isle of Wight and woodland and grassland bursting with wildlife, this is the perfect spot for an outdoors day.
This lucky girl spent her last weekend before heading back to university with her favourite boy and headed off on an adventure to Lepe Country Park, in Hampshire. It’s a beautiful spot, with fabulous climbing trees, grasslands with birds and blackberries galore, spots for fishing, places for swimming (if you’re brave enough) and a long sometimes sandy beach for picnicking. I would highly recommend this place for a trip.
This part of the Solent is popular for watersports and people visit to kayak, sail, windsurf and kite-surf. I was content to bring a picnic hamper and enjoy the autumn sun beneath the shingle cliffs, watching the coastal birds swooping and the boats sailing around the Isle of Wight. Kind of a little bit definitely felt like I was in the notebook or something. Or like I was living INSIDE instagram. Crazy.
We then attempted to follow the Lepe Loop, described as a 5mile circular walk along the coast and then through the countryside, taking 2 hours at a leisurely pace. However, due to a lot of time spent dawdling, stone skimming, admiring the beautiful Watch House, taking photos of the shoreline and grasslands and ourselves and a large number of chat breaks, Larry and I only completed the first beach-side half before turning back. An utterly beautiful day at the seaside was had despite this – if anyone does successfully complete the loop, please let me know what we missed!
If we only had more time, perhaps we would have tied this day at the seaside to a camping trip in the New Forest, where even more adventures can undoubtedly be had. Next time perhaps?
- The Park is open between 07.30am and dusk.
- Car parking in the summer is: £3.50 for up to 4 hours and £5 for all day.
- There is a toilet, a café (selling coffees, cakes and chips among other things) and a gift shop.
- BRING: A picnic! A camera. A flask of coffee/tea/hotchocolate. If the weather isn’t as friendly, definitely remember warm clothes/ waterproof, and potentially wellies for the walk. + Swimming gear if you’re feeling brave!
- Lepe Country Park Exbury Southampton SO45 1AD